- During the summer many children lose academic skills.
- Without school breakfast and lunch, many children lose nutritional well-being.
- Many children have few structured learning opportunities.
Summer learning and nutritional losses are greater for children living in rural and low-income communities.
Children living in rural and low-income communities often fall behind during the summer months, starting each school year behind where they were the previous spring. Successive summers of limited learning opportunities may cause children to fall below grade level by the end of elementary school—putting them further and further behind more privileged peers.
Energy Express is a six-week summer program promoting the school success of children living in rural and low-income communities across West Virginia by:
- Providing summer learning experiences focused on reading.
- Serving two nutritious family-style meals each day.
- Engaging college students in service through AmeriCorps.
Developing strong partnerships involving parents, schools, communities, and state agencies and organizations.
June 19-July 28, 2017
Mylan Park Elementary
Enroll Your Child in Energy Express
Applications for the Energy Express sites fill quickly, and selection is based on a variety of criteria. Early registration deadline is May 1, 2017. Completing this application does not guarantee enrollment- those selected will be notified around May 15, 2017.
To apply, fill out the entire Child Application form below
Energy Express Child Application 2017
Completed applications may be emailed to MonongaliaCountyExtension@mail.wvu.edu or mailed to WVU-Monongalia County Extension, 34 Commerce Dr Ste 106, Morgantown, WV 26501.
PLEASE NOTE: if you want to type your application, you MUST first save the file onto your computer, then enter your data, and save the file again before emailing.
How do I save PDF forms to my computer?
1. Right click your mouse on the PDF form’s link; Select ‘Save Link as’; Locate where you wish to save the file on your hard drive; and Click ‘Save’.
2. From the opened file, you may also save the form. From
the Adobe Reader® top menu, Select ‘File’; Select ‘Save As’; Locate where you wish to
save the file on your hard drive; and Click ‘Save’
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to circumstances outside of our control, our website will be shut down beginning June 1, 2017. If interested in application materials or to determine if spots are still available after this date, please contact the Extension Office at 304-291-7201.
Want to donate to help Energy Express?
Each child attending Energy Express in the summer costs approximately $250. Although Energy Express is supported in part by grant funds, the program must rely heavily on community contributions. If you would like to support Energy Express through monetary donation or donation of time, please contact the Extension Office at 304-291-7201.
Monetary donations are tax deductible and support the following areas:
· Art and writing supplies – $15 per child
· Six take-home books each – $22 per child
· Meals and transportation for children
Contact the Extension Office at 304-291-7201
For more information about Energy Express in Monongalia County please contact the Monongalia County Extension Service at (304)291-7201 or Email